Thursday, April 8, 2010

Picking, a Dream Job

I have a new favorite show. If you are a thrifter, a garage sale junkie, or a vintage hoarder; if you love to go on adventures and hunt for treasures; if you like to get your hands dirty all in the name of discovering something that others would pay top dollar for...you need to check out "American Pickers" on the History Channel. It is a cross between "Cash in the Attic" and "Dirty Jobs."

I love garage saling. Around where I live, the garage sales are always few and far between. If there are some, they are usually in a modern house with people who are trying to get rid of stuff that they bought at Walmart in the last few years. I get such a rush when I follow a garage sale sign and find that the house is at least 50 years old and therefore the stuff inside might be old as well. Oh the possibilities...the treasures that await my picking.

Because of the limited amount of good garage sales around me, there have been times when I pass by old houses (like the one from this post) and wish I could just ask the owners if I can scavenge their house for goodies. What is so cool about "American Pickers" is that they do just that. They knock on doors and explain that they want to go through the owners old barns, warehouses, shops, etc. to find items they would like to purchase. What a dream job. I wonder how you get into that line of work? Watch the show and you will want to go picking, too!

Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, American Pickers

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I must say that I love the thrill of the hunt of treasure finding! and yard sales or garage sales are so much fun!
Thrift stores are awesome too....

and as far as knocking on peoples doors goes, I cannot tell you how many times that happened to my parents on our 100 acre farm! Mostly for scrap metal objects...it's amazing what makes some people tick! lol

glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to go out 'junkin'!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Anonymous said...

First of all, I must say that I love the thrill of the hunt of treasure finding! and yard sales or garage sales are so much fun!
Thrift stores are awesome too....

and as far as knocking on peoples doors goes, I cannot tell you how many times that happened to my parents on our 100 acre farm! Mostly for scrap metal objects...it's amazing what makes some people tick! lol

glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to go out 'junkin'!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Saving Capulet said...

oh thrifting is the best! there aren't a lot of garage sales here as well. But we have loads of trhift shops usually selling vintage clothing :3

Valerie said...

I'm going to have to check this show out! Awesome!

I think the other girl (in girls with glasses) is a publisher of a magazine named "Eliza" -- I think they are both Mormon girls (I could be wrong about the publisher) and that's how they hooked up. Apparently there are supposed to be many more videos to come...

LINDSAY said...

I don't think I could knock on someone's door...but dig through their trash on the curbside, I have no problem with that :)